sinus lift/exposure post operative instructions
Expectations & Precautions (for the next 7-10 days)
- Do not blow your nose! If you need to clear your nose, you may wipe it gently with a tissue. You may use a nasal/sinus decongestant (Advil ‘Cold and Sinus’ is a good example).
- Avoid closed-mouth sneezing! When sneezing, prevent back-pressure into the sinus by opening your mouth and allowing the sneeze to escape out of the mouth as well as the nose (as per usual) – messy sneezes out of the mouth are encouraged. Do not trap your sneezes by closing your mouth when sneezing.
- A small amount of fluid may come out of the nose when drinking, and this is normal.
- Avoid using a straw when drinking as this can cause back-pressure in the sinus passage.
- Nose bleed may also occur when bending over to tie a shoelace or tilting the head downward. This is normal. If this happens, do not be alarmed! It will dissipate within a day or two. If it becomes troublesome, let your doctor know. .